Friday, September 11, 2009

OH no! What if I fail the sugar test?

In spite of not being in the best shape, I did not have gestational diabetes while pregnant for V. For the first 7.5 months I did pretty well regulating my diet. I find, actually, that I eat much better while pregnant.

In a 'due date group' someone mentioned in their past pregnancies they had to test their blood sugar three times a day. What many do not know is that the 'uh oh you failed your sugar glucose test' is not generally that bad. Besides giving you a second chance on the test, those who do have gestation diabetes often can regulate their blood sugar through diet. According to medscape,
“Abnormal maternal glucose regulation occurs in 3-10% of pregnancies. Studies suggest that the prevalence of diabetes mellitus (DM) among women of childbearing age is increasing in the United States. This increase is believed to be attributable to more sedentary lifestyles, changes in diet, continued immigration from high-risk populations, and the virtual epidemic of childhood and adolescent obesity that is presently evolving in United States. Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) is defined as glucose intolerance of variable degree with onset or first recognition during pregnancy. Gestational diabetes mellitus accounts for 90% of cases of diabetes mellitus in pregnancy. Type II diabetes mellitus accounts for 8% of cases of diabetes mellitus in pregnancy, and given its increasing incidence, preexisting diabetes mellitus now affects 1% of pregnancies.”
Medscape. Diabetes mellitus. Retrieved electronically from http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/127547-overview

Basically if you are in that 3-10%. there's an 90% chance you'll need to watch what you put in your mouth and when it goes in there and you'll be fine. I am NOT saying that GD is nothing to worry about, but what I am saying is do not assume that all is over if you fail the drinking test (and tell me again why they use artificial dyes in these tests? I asked for a color free one last time and they only had orange. I don't get it. I'm trying to prevent issues and you're causing me more! Anyway, again, I degress...), find out what you can do NUTRITIONALLY to get things going in the right direction. Talk to you midwife or OB and find out what can be done to get things under control. GD can cause birth defects, so of course, the first step is to prevent GD if possible in the first place.


Links of interest:
2007 Study on GDFoods to Avoid in Pregnancy
Prevent Diabetes in Pregnancy so you don't increase your child's risk of being overweight
General info on GD
(BTW, a large baby is not a defined reason for a cesarean! That's called an unnecessarian if there's not another (legitimate) reason!)

No comments: