Sunday, June 3, 2012

Cultural significance of a fast - Vat Savitri Purnima Vrata

Fasting exists in many cultures and is entwined in many religions. Catholics Fast on Fridays through Lent, Muslims fast through Ramadan, Buddhist monks fast on New and Full moons, and this Monday (today on the east coast, tomorrow for me), I'm going to attempt my fast for Vat Savitri Purnima Vrata. While I do a basic fast during Lent (I am Catholic), an online friend posted a reminder of this fast and I decided, why not hope for longevity for my husband? Also, the weight that I had lost in June has decided it likes me better and is returning.

Vat Savitri Purnima Vrata is a Hindu holiday in which a woman fasts for her husband's longevity and well-being on this full moon and is named for Sati Savitri who fought with Lord Yama for her husband's life back. My husband lovingly informed me that I'm to walk barefoot and tie a white string around a Banyan tree. The problem is the closest one to us is likely in or around San Diego, a 5 hour drive through the desert. Sorry. Not happening. I'm also not heading out to buy new clothes.

For some wives who partake will have just water and fruit. I'll attempt coffee, water and fruit and go from there.

Here's to the husbands out there :)


No comments: