Friday, September 28, 2012

Forcing "please" and other niceties and attachment parenting

At first I was against such things as forced apologies and such "niceties" but then I realized how I feel when someone says something that could "use" a "please" and realized something isn't forced if it is natural. We can teach our children to have manners without it being forced. First by modeling that behavior, being around others who feel the same and also through real life experience. Grace and such are important tenets of a Montessori education and I'm very happy to hear our daughter singing her manners song... 

Now for it to translate to something that's easily done :)

Here are the words to the song our daughter has picked up from school.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great! I'll have to teach it to my four please-less kiddos. Only the eldest, who is almost 8, seems to have the 'please' and 'thank you' thing down pat.

Unknown said...

I agree! I don't make my children say ma'am to me but they know it's courteous and use it with grandparents, new people they meet, etc. Manners make life more pleasant in so many ways :)

crunchyfarmbaby said...

I definitely think it's more about modeling and teaching general "niceness" to those around us than forcing the behavior, know what I mean? I think by teaching our children respect and love for others from a young age, we automatically encourage those positive behaviors.

Unknown said...

Couldn't agree more...they're more likely to do it and stick with it if you're doing it too.

Unknown said...

What a cute song, I am about teach it to my two year old, it surely can't hurt!