Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mixed Folks - Bill of Rights

People from India have been considered just about every race, and race really shouldn't matter in many aspects of life, but heritage is important. When a person is of mixed race, there often becomes a "third" culture that happens. This post found on Mixed Folks.com, is great.



Bill of Rights for Racially Mixed People

By Maria P.P. Root

 

I HAVE THE RIGHT...

-Not to justify my existence in this world.
-Not to keep the races separate within me.
-Not to be responsible for people's discomfort with my physical ambiguity.
-Not to justify my ethnic legitimacy.

I HAVE THE RIGHT...


-To identify myself differently than strangers expect me to identify.
-To identify myself differently from how my parents identify me.
-To identify myself differently from my brothers and sisters.
-To identify myself differently in different situations.

I HAVE THE RIGHT...


-To create a vocabulary to communicate about being multiracial.
-To change my identity over my lifetime -- and more than once.
-To have loyalties and identification with more than one group of people.
-To freely choose whom I befriend and love

 
Maria P. P. Root, PhD, is author of
The Multiracial Experience: Racial Borders as the New Frontier

which you can purchase through Interracial Voice and Amazon.com

No comments: