Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The cost of water and cloth diapering

There are some questions out there regarding saving $$ and cloth diapering. The Real Diaper Association is a great resource. On a popular cloth diapering site, someone indicated that since changing to cloth diapers they're using 4000 more gallons of water each month. That doesn't make sense to me, so I started looking at some "averages"


The average load on a top loader is 40-45 gallons per cycle, while a front loader uses around 20 gallons.

I read that in the US, the average cost per gallon  across the US is $0.002.

So if you are using 2400 gallons per month for washing your diapers double daily... then it should be costing you around $4.80 per month to do so... http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw/wot/pdfs/book_waterontap_full.pdf

However, very few people I know wash daily... so for an extra $4/month and possibly $3 for detergent (Mine costs around $12 and I go through it every 4 or so months).... that, the environmental impact and the fact that I HATE TOXIC chemicals... I'll say yeah... keep those sposies....

Rockin Green




Another link.

Okay you may have to spend a few pennies per load for the hot water but yeah... it still doesn't add up!

No comments: