Saturday, February 28, 2009

Review: Alphabutt by Kimya Dawson and Friends

I stopped at the library today to pick up a book I had on hold. I wandered over to the children's section to see what music they had, hoping I could find some Putumayo Kids music. Sure enough, I was able to pick up some African up-beat music. I browsed a bit more and I nearly jumped for joy. There, in the middle of the "D" section was KIMYA DAWSON and FRIENDS: ALPHABUTT!


WOW. I hadn't heard any of her kids' music, but I thought she rocked "Juno" (also see this) and the fact that she's active on the cloth diapering board I frequent... I grabbed it quickly... even though no one was was even browsing children's music. Kimya is known for her "anti-folk" style. She's very stream of conscious and melodic in her own off-beat way. The kids singing and banging blocks in the background is just like you'd expect to hear if you were having your own little children's music time - I know this because it is very similar to the sounds I hear when, on Thursdays, we head to the park and have music in the park with "teacher Kevin."
Anyway, as soon as I reached my car, out came the borrowed Radiohead baby Rock CD (thanks Leslie!) and in went Alphabutt. I sat in the car for a few minutes to make sure I'd like it and I did. I listened to most of the CD on the way (sans baby, by the way, she was at home sleeping) and found myself laughing, bee-bopping along, and when possible singing.
What makes me most happy about this CD is that it is totally AP-friendly. The song "i love you sweet baby" is probably my new favorite song.
(when I have a few moments I'll type the rest of the lyrics here)
Here are the songs on the album:
  1. little monster babies
  2. alphabutt
  3. bobby-o
  4. louie
  5. smoothie
  6. i like bears
  7. seven hunty tigers
  8. happy home (keep on writing)
  9. wiggle my tooth
  10. i love you sweet baby
  11. pee-pee in the potty (my note, very pro breastfeeding!)
  12. uncle hukee's house
  13. we're all animals (my note: for very religious families, skip this song)
  14. little panda bear (my note: kimya's daughter's name is panda)
  15. sunbeams and some beans
Heck, you can even have "I love you sweet baby" as your ring tone. THAT rocks!

.... if you're breathing, you are living. if you're living, then you're learning... just make sure your life's exciting....

No comments: